Clap’s Favorite Pear
On Saturday, June 16, 2007, Mayor Thomas M. Menino dedicated the 11 ½ foot high sculpture by artist Laura Baring Gould of the Clap’s Favorite Pear.  The pear is the centerpiece of public artworks in the Square including bollards with subjects exploring Dorchester history.  In the 19th century, the Clap/Clapp family on nearby Boston Street hybridized the Clap’s Favorite variety among many others.

Soldiers Monument, Meeting House Hill
Erected in 1867 by the Pickwick Club, the Soldiers' Monument lists the names of those Dorchester residents who fell in the service of their country during the Civil War.

Edward Everett
Designed by William Wetmore Story of Salem in 1866, this statue was cast in Munich and set up in the Public Garden as a gift to the city from the citizens of Boston on November 18, 1867. The statue was moved from the Public Garden on June 24, 1910, and in 1911 it was taken to Dorchester at the urging of the Dorchester Historical Society, and set up on Dorchester Day, June 6, of that year in the traffic circle at Edward Everett Square. Toppled by motorists, it was removed February 28, 1931, and stored in the woodyard in Franklin Park. It was later rescued and placed in Richardson Park next to Edward Everett Square.

Edward Everett House
The monument at the corner of Columbia Road and Boston Street marks the location of the birthplace of Dorchester native son Edward Everett.   Text on stone: Everett House. Built 1746. Demolished 1898. Here was born April 11, 1794, Edward Everett. Educator, Orator, Statesman, Member of Congress 1825-34, Governor of Massachusetts 1836-39, Minister to England 1841-45, Graduate and President of Harvard College 1846-48, Secretary of State under President Fillmore, United States Senator 1853-54. Mainly through his efforts Mount Vernon was preserved. Died January 15, 1865. Erected by the City of Boston, June 5, 1909.

Maloney Circle
Monument installed in 1950 in memory of John Edward Maloney who was killed in World War II. 
Maloney Circle
Named in Memory
John Edward Maloney
Gunners Mate, 3c U.S.N.
Killed in action, April 16, 1945
Off Okinawa Shima
U.S.S. LCS (L) (3) 116

General Casimir Pulaski
General Pulaski came from Poland to fight for American independence. He was killed at the battle of Savannah October 1, 1779.  This monument is located at the Polish American Citizen’s Club on Boston Street.

Lower Mills World War II Monument
Lower Mills World War II monument located on the southeast corner of the intersection of Richmond Street and Dorchester Avenue.  Dedicated to the men and women of this community who helped preserve for us this free nation.  Installed by the Dorchester Lower Mills Community Club.

Cedar Grove Cemetery Benjamin Stone Civil War Monument
Benjamin Stone led Company K from May 27, 1861, when it set off from Meetinghouse Hill, until he was mortally wounded at the Second Battle of Bull Run on Aug. 29, 1862.

Tadeusz Kosciusko
The Tadeusz Kosciuszko monument is located at Columbia Circle.  Andrzej Tadeusz Bonawentura Kościuszko was a Polish general and military leader during the Kościuszko Uprising. He is a national hero of the United States, Poland, Lithuania, and Belarus. He led the 1794 Kościuszko Uprising against Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Prussia as Supreme Commander of the Polish National Armed Force.  Before commanding the 1794 Uprising, he fought in the American Revolutionary War as a colonel in the Continental Army. In 1783, in recognition of his dedicated service, he was brevetted by the Continental Congress to the rank of brigadier general and became a naturalized citizen of the United States.

John W. McCormack
John W. McCormack was a Massachusetts State Representative from 1920 to 1922, a Massachusetts State Senator from 1923 to 1926, a US Representative from 1928 to 1971. From 1962 to 1970 he was Speaker of the US House of Representatives.  This monument is located on Columbia Road between Dorchester Avenue and the Expressway.

Fields Corner Veterans’ Monument
A major focus of the Dorchester Avenue project of 2011 in Fields Corner is the expansion of the "Hero Square" plaza at the intersection of Dorchester Avenue and Adams Street. The existing island on which the veterans' memorial sits will be joined to the main city block to create a larger plaza area with seating. Both the flagpole and the monument will be centrally located to give them prominence.

Savin Hill Park Monument
The stone was erected by the City of Boston on June 5, 1909.  The original plaque was larger, filling the space on the stone.  The wording: Rock Hill, Now Savin Hill.  At the foot of this hill the first settlers of Dorchester landed from the Ship Mary and John in June 1630.  They built their homes and church near by.  The hill was fortified in 1634 by mounting cannon in tis summit.

Revolutionary War Monument in Dorchester Old North Burial Ground
In memory of the soldiers of the Revolution who died during the Siege of Boston and were buried in this lot 1775-1776.  Erected by the Massachusetts Society Sons of the American Revolution 1903.

Town Meeting Square
The intersection of Pleasant, Pond and Cottage Streets was the location of the first English meeting house in the 1630s and therefore was the seat of town government.  The wording: Town Meeting Square. Near this site the first settlers of Dorchester who came on the Ship Mary and John in June 1630 erected the first meeting house.  Here they held the first town meeting and established the first free school in America by a vote of the town in 1639.  It became the firest free public school supported by a direct tax upon the citizens.  Erected by the city of Boston, June 5, 1909.

Coppenhagen Fountain
Funds for the Coppenhagen Fountain located in Richardson Park near Edward Everett Square were donated to the City of Boston in 1911 in the will of Mehitable Calef Coppenhagen, who wanted to honor the memory of her parents and, by extension, all parents, with a suitable public memorial. Her donation was to be spent procuring a site and erecting a fountain--for persons and animals--to drink from. The City engaged the sculptor Albert Henry Atkins to design the memorial.

Capt. Joseph W. McConnell
Dedicated September 11, 1921, this monument consisted of a large round plaque on the stone that is surrounded by an iron fence near Malibu Beach.  In 1918 Captain McConnell was killed in action in France in World War I.

Rt. Rev. John J. O’Donnell Memorial Stone
Installed in memory of Rt. Rev. John J. O'Donnell, pastor of St. Ann's Parish, 1925-1945, this stone is located in the small park at the intersection of Neponset Avenue and Ashmont Street opposite St. Ann's Church along with the Redberry Council Memorial Stone.

Redberry Council Memorial Stone
The Redberry Council Memorial Stone is located in the small park at O'Donnell Square at the intersection of Neponset Avenue and Ashmont Street opposite St. Ann's Church along with the Rt. Rev. John J. O'Donnell Memorial Stone.

Peabody Square Clock and Peabody Square Watering Trough
Peabody Park, the triangular green space in the center of Peabody Square, was a gift from Colonel Oliver Peabody to the City of Boston in 1893. In 1911, the City of Boston, endowed Peabody Park with a Howard Clock designed by the well known architect William D. Austin and made by the E. Howard Clock Company.  This open green is still graced by a large granite horse trough.

Kneeling Soldier Civil War Memorial
Designed by Michael Sand, the Kneeling Soldier monument was dedicated on September 26, 2004, when the plaque entitled "Not for Conquest But for Country" was re-installed honoring the members of the First Methodist Church who served in the Civil War. The plaque, which was lost in the construction of a new building in the 1960s was later re-discovered, honors 51 members of the First Methodist Church who served in the Union armed services in that horrific war.

Vietnam War Memorial
Located on Morrissey Boulevard with the University of Massachusetts as a backdrop, the Vietnam War Memorial consists of two stone arch structures, inscribed with the names of the fallen Vietnam Veterans from Dorchester. A path leads to the memorial, and there is extensive landscaping with decorative flowers and bushes.

Stanislaw R.J. Suchecki Memorial Overpass
This overpass forms part of Columbia Road as it passes over the Southeast Expressway. Stanislaw Raymond Jan Suchecki was born on August 29, 1925 on Preble Street in South Boston. The son of Polish immigrants, he grew up poor in the Southie tenements during the Depression. He was appointed a federal prosecutor to the Justice Department by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, and as Assistant U. S. Attorney he handled many high profile mail, tax, food and drug cases, including the $1.5 million Plymouth mail robbery, then the biggest robbery in the world. He won the government's Distinguished Service Award for his efforts.

Sleeping Moon Sculpture
Designed and fabricated by Joe Wheelwright, this sculpture was installed on the plaza leading to the T station in October, 2010, as part of the improvements to Peabody Square.

Beades Bridge
The John J. Beades Memorial Bridge, is a drawbridge which opens to allow passage from the bay to Dorchester Yacht Club.  In 1978 the bridge at Morrissey Boulevard was named in memory of Senator John J. Beades of the Dorchester section of the city of Boston, who devoted his adult life to the service of the public and in particular to the needs of the people of Dorchester.

Cedar Grove Cemetery Veterans Memorial

World War I Memorial at Kane Square (intersection of Bowdoin and Hancock Streets)

Dedicated by Francis G. Kane Post No. 60, American Legion

In Memory of the Heroes of Dorchester Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice In the World War

Erected by the People of Dorchester


Korean War monument to Joseph Francis Keenan located at northeast corner of Cronin Playground (also known as Wainwright playground)

Joseph Francis Keenan, HM3 U.S.N., 1933-1953

On March 27, 1953 Hospital Corpsman Joseph Keenan was mortally wounded attempting to rescue five fellow Aericans trapped on Reno Hill, Korea. Because of his bravery and heroic actions Joseph F. Keenan was posthumously awarded The Navy Cross

In whose memory we dedicate this memorial.

October 19, 1986


William G. Walsh Monument

The monument to William G. Walsh is located in the William G. Walsh Playground on Washington Street near Lower Mills.  Gunnery Sergeant William Gary Walsh (April 7, 1922 – February 27, 1945) came from Roxbury and was a United States Marine who heroically sacrificed his life to save the lives of his fellow Marines during the Battle of Iwo Jima during World War II. For his actions on February 27, 1945, he posthumously received the Medal of Honor.


Philip McMorrow Playground, Victory Road

A Dorchester native and graduate of Boston Latin School, Philip McMorrow was elected to the legislature in 1936 and served there 10 years. At the time of his death in 1948 he was chief assessor of the city of Boston.

Additional information